Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ain't nothing wrong...

But I am busy. Here's links so I'm mocked less for liking Tammy Faye...

The Bill Holman band on Youtube. (via Rifftides) It's easy sometimes, at least for me, to overlook how good Bill's work continues to be, and how much meat there is to chew on in what seems like very light, straight-ahead writing.

A new (?) model for jazz fundraising. (via Mwanji) The more I watch the jazz world from a slightly more global perspective (or try to), the more I think jazz is best served by local, ground up organizations. The orchestral/museum model, which is fantastic for what it does, rarely serves us very well. (Witness J@LC, ideology aside spending seemingly 90% of its time and energy simply trying to maintain what it's built) More thoughts on this later.

More on postmodernism in jazz. You know you love it, or maybe you just its signifiers...

On a related note, critic Fred Kaplan has a blog. I like his breakdown of the Jazz Journalist Awards. I love Andrew Hill- some very warm NYC memories are going to hang with Ron Horton when he was playing with Hill's sextet, and marveling at the music- but I always question showering someone with awards the minute they pass on. I wish this had happened upon the release of Dusk.

Examining Rock the Bells, an exercise in hip-hop nostalgia (?!), as it makes it's way to New England.

Muppet relics find a home. Awww...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's some "on the ground" realities of that funding model that I'm going to try and find a way to discuss without incriminating myself here in Chicago. We'll see if I can pull it off. It's definitely been a net-positive for the scene, largely because there are organizations like the AACM and Asian iMprov aRts that can act as tax sheltered conduits for the funds, but of course a lot of the money gets lost in the overhead of organizations.

The fact that we're about to start our third year of an incredible, free, outdoor series in Millennium Park again on Thursday is an incredible result of the partnership. It's produced new bands (Exploding Star Orchestra), a fantastic reunion of Mandingo Griot Society, and literally *every* show has been top notch.

Like I said, more later if I can do it without hanging myself in the process.