Tuesday, June 12, 2007

And here we test our powers...

I'm late to the party, but make sure you check out Ethan Iverson's recent 90s blindfold test and commentary over at The Bad Plus blog. Ethan the critic is almost as valuable an asset to the musical community as Ethan the pianist/composer/lovable weirdo. Well, not almost, but he's a damn good critic. I share Ethan's inner schizophrenia on Paul Bley- I keep telling myself I'm going to get to know "Footloose" better, because every time I hear it it blows my head off. But I bought his more recent duo with Kenny Wheeler, which was crap. It was so bad, from such masters, that I was angry for a couple of days. More of my two cents soon... stay tuned.

Right below this post it is a reminder about Guillermo Klein's two week jazz odyssey at the Vanguard. I have to ration my NYC trips this summer, so I think Myra Melford's hit at the Vision Fest will win out. But that's no excuse for you...

No comments: