Sunday, April 26, 2009

He juggled fire and it consumed him

RIP Gabriel Feld.  The Boston yoga community is reeling this weekend from Gabe's very sudden passing.  I knew Gabe from his work with my teacher David Vendetti- he was a very warm soul, a fire juggler (literally), and a passionate yogi and teacher.  

Gabe committed suicide, which makes his passing that much more painful and frustrating to those he leaves behind.  This is the second suicide I've seen this year in my yoga circles (proof, I suppose, that the practice, as amazing as it is, is not a panacea)  I would point back to the post I wrote after Boston frontman Rob Delp died.  I have no personal experience with clinical depression, so I can only imagine how alone one feels.  But I know for certain from the suicides I've seen that the people who died were so loved, and so supported, that if they had called for help people would've come running.  I encouraged my classes today, if you think you need help, please ask, and be completely available to help when you're needed.  I don't ever want to write this obit again.

4 comments:

nicolenelsong said...

Gabriel was beautiful. He brightened my life with his own. He will be missed.

Ms. Paige said...

RIP GABE

The Pregnant Bitch said...

he was amazing... since hearing the news all i can see is his smile, and all i can remember was how he was always there for me... he was an amazing person and i can only hope that he is still smiling

Anonymous said...

He did have a beautiful smile. I'm always thinking of you, Gabriel. Namaste, cousin.