Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Skycaps and Spider Monkeys

Again, I'm late to the party, but let me point out trumpeter Taylor Ho Bynum's literate and thoughtful SpiderMonkey blog . Great posts on Braxton and Cecil Taylor, among other things.

Speaking of Taylor, he will be in Boston this weekend with the Fully Celebrated Orchestra at fellow FCO member Jim Hobbs' Skycap festival. (can't find a useful link) The festival also features Joe Morris and Timo Shanko's organ trio. I've never seen the FCO live, so I'm looking forward to it. I've seen conflicting information about the times of the festival, so I'll post full details tomorrow. Without any fanfare, as is his way, Jim has put together a remarkable series of improvised music concerts at the Brookline Tai Chi center this season, including both local and national talent. A big step forward for the scene here in town in a year of setbacks. Bravo Jim!

UPDATE, AGAIN: I screwed up. Because of the venue change, there's been some confusion. The gig is actually Saturday, one night only, starting at 7pm. Taylor and the FCO hit at 10pm. Still at Brookline Tai Chi, in the Washington Square of Brookline, MA. (No relation to the real one, and on the not quite interminable C line)

No comments: