Monday, April 14, 2008

Whisper Not

Benny Golson, who is best known for writing "Whisper Not" and "Killer Joe", as well as anchoring the Jazztet with Art Farmer in the '50s, is in Boston this week for a residency at Harvard. He gives a talk at 4pm on Thursday about his career, and plays with Mulgrew Miller and the Harvard Jazz Band on Friday night. The Globe has the details. Like every jazz nerd, I grew up playing Killer Joe, which I resented, and Whisper Not, which I loved. ("Along Came Betty" is on my list of hard tunes to get to, with "Con Alma" and "26-2", one of those high temples of math-jazz.)

Benny came to Eastman when I was a student there- I remember him as a very warm guy. His playing is not what it used to be- I heard he has some face issues (literally), and I know he's changed his setup from back in the day. But I'm sure Mulgrew show up big, and the Thursday talk should be really interesting.

Other keepers this week: Carla Bley and Steve Swallow play Wednesday at Scullers, Bob Brookmeyer gives a lecture at NEC on Wednesday at 1, then conducts his "Spirit Music" on Thursday night.

No comments: